The Niagara Construction Association (NCA) has scheduled a Lunch and Learn about employment law — especially relating to Ministry of Labour complaints and terminations on Tuesday, Jan. 19.
Jacq Hammond, principal at Teddinton Park Associates Ltd. will discuss several issues including:
- Why terminating employees isn’t as straight-forward as it should be.
- Minimum notice/pay vs. common-law notice/pay.
- What is constructive dismissal?
- When is an employee considered a “construction” employee vs. an “office” employee?
- Understand the difference when it comes to paying termination pay vs. common-law amounts.
- Avoid a Ministry of Labour Complaint – how to stay compliant.
- Employment Standards Act, 2000 – if you think the ESA is skewed towards employees now, just wait to see what may be in store – a tough pill for small and mid-size businesses to follow.
Registration fee is $10.00. The event occurs at the NCA offices, 34 Scott St. W., St. Catharines, ON.