The Niagara Construction Association has announced a “lunch and learn” session about the Ontario College of Trades (OCOT) with Sherrard Kuzz, LLP (employment and labour lawyer) on Monday, May 11 from 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 pm.
The NCA says that statistics show that, in 2014, more than 10,000 field inspections were completed and about 350 issues were issued. The inspectors are visiting job sites with increasing frequency.
The lawyers will provide information about the OCOT, its current activities and legal and practical answers to questions including:
- What is the difference between an inspector and investigator?
- · What rights do an inspector/investigator have when they attend at a job-site?
- · What rights does an employer have?
- · What are best practices to minimize issues with an inspector or investigator?
- · What are the expected next steps for the OCOT?
Registration (by Monday May 4) is $10.00 plus HST for members and $20.00 plus HST for non-members. Lunch is included.